The WDF is composed of two branches: Navy and Marines and are chartered with the defense of the Whistler Colonies. They patrol the spacelanes and partner with a semi-private entity operating under the name Guardian for near-orbit and planetary customs enforcement and search & rescue. Their jurisdiction ends once on the ground (or aboard a registered space station or outpost) and hands over to local law enforcement or the Colonial Marshall service.
The Unification Wars geenrated significant pressure to create a standing Army as rogue colonies were occupied for longer terms, but the Council continues to press the Marines into this service.
- Fleet Admiral Komiko Halsey – supreme commander of the WDF.
- Cmdr. Michael “Mick” O’Connor – Deceased. Chief Engineer of Indomitable. Discovered the final resting place of WDF San Orestes. Died at the Battle of Grove.
- WDF Indomitable, Poseidon-Class Assault Cruiser – Jack Cartwright’s command. Destroyed in the Battle of Grove in 590 when Cartwright ordered his crew to ram Grove Orbital and the Cheyenne Drive Yards.
- WDF Dauntless, Athena-Class Destroyer – the naval vessel suspected to have attacked the crew of the IBI Your Mother Was A Hamster over Crighton.
- WDF Endeavor, Munroe-Class Light Destroyer – naval vessel sent by Admiral Halsey’s office to retrieve the Hamster crew from Myrr.
- WDF San Orestes – Murphy-Class Patrol Destroyer. Lost to a mis-dive after the Battle of Yang, location later discovered by Mick O’Connor.
- WDF Fidelity – System patrol craft assigned to the Demeter picket. Destroyed ITC A Series of Unlikely Explanations without provocation.
- WDF Damocles – The first Damocles-class Dreadnought under construction by the WDF at the Phoenix Propulsion Labs navy yards over Whistler.
Guardian Services, Ltd.
Guardian is a semi-private company spun off from the WDF in 425 to provide orbital Search & Rescue and interdiction. They exist in the legal boundary between the WDF and local law enforcement with funding from the Council to support a small navy.
- Rear Admiral Jacob Doughtery – CO of Guardian operations in Roberts.
- Colonel Daniel Feldman – CO of Guardian operations in the Chrighton planetary system, based on Myrr.
- Lieutenant Henry Blackmoon – Rescue pilot who disobeyed orders to come to the aid of the Hamster crew. Later court martialled.
- Master Chief Petty Officer Charles Scoville – Rescue crew who disobeyed orders to come to the aid of the Hamster crew. Later court martialled.
- GAV-337 “Swamp Chicken” – a Maxim AV-39c “Lancer” Multi-Role Assault Vehicle supporting the Guardian garrison on Myrr.