Hugo, Cole, and Margaret rush to help Emma as she collapses off the bench. The bullet passed through her chest and perforated her lung and she begins to choke. Wile triaging, Cole tears his canvas tunic fairly effortlessly, demonstrating an inhuman strength. Right before Emma loses consciousness, she looks up at Cole and says “there was a Siberian wolf…at the zoo…you have his eyes….” Right after she passes out, Emma convulses and screams, but the sound is like the roar of huge creature and not a young girl. Wisps of gray-black steam stream from everyone in the room (besides Daphne, curiously) and flow into Emma, and her wounds heal before the party’s eyes. She wakes a few minutes later with no recollection after she fell unconscious.
A short time later, cleaning supplies and replacement scrubs are delivered via the dumbwaiters, along with a note saying simply “Don’t make us clean for you.” After some grumbling, the party goes about cleaning the blood and changing.
At one point, Seamus produces an antique Gaelic coin seemingly from nowhere. He says it happens from time to time. He tells his story of coming to the defense of a girl being attacked by “shadows”, and Margaret translates the words the girl spoke to him as “Defend me, slave, now!”
An older-model iPhone is delivered with dinner. It appears to be completely new, with no apps or configuration. It detects no signals of any kind. Emily demonstrates her power over machines, or at least data, by discovering that someone had stashed a copy of the Library of Congress circa 1995 onto the phone and psychically retrieving specific facts from it.
Most of the party is allowed to sleep naturally that night. A few wake feeling that they had been artificially forced unconscious, mainly Hugo, who continues to refuse to eat, and those that had items stashed in their cells. Everything is fundamentally reset. Daphne is woken by Boober, who mentions that their captors refer to “you” (meaning either Daphne or the party as a whole) as “the enemy”. He’s not sure why.
The party finds the tenth cell in their block opened for the first time and occupied by a woman. She appears to be in her early thirties and seems extremely sick or strung out. She huddles in the back of her cell and tells the party to stay out and to not come near. Her scrubs bear a dark red stripe with a bright red border. She identifies herself as Beth and the party learns several things:
- The facility studies people with special abilities. They’re kept in a coma while medical experiments are performed, then placed in cell blocks for observation. Beth has been locked in her cell for two days. She reports that the rest of her cell block killed each other.
- Beth identifies the blue stripes as people with special abilities, and expresses fear at Cole’s brown stripe. She says the person in her block with a brown stripe turned into a bear and ate several people. She hasn’t seen the green. She claims her own red stripe is because they turned her into a vampire.
- When the party asks if she wants food, she points out that they would be the food and they should stay away. She specifically points out Daphne, who she says “smells like candy”.
- Beth says the red flash is some sort of neural disruptor that keeps people in comas. Shielding ones eyes is no protection, but she says that it loses effectiveness the more times they use it.
- The party detects a chemical being introduced into the air. Beth says it stimulates these special abilities, or “knacks” as she calls them.
After being exposed for a short time, Beth becomes very still, then a change seems to come over her, and she approaches the party, looking much more dangerous than before….