August 20th-21st, 2025 – New York City
A fight ensues. During the battle, many of the party find their powers non-functional or much more difficult than normal, additionally, firearms don’t function. Seamus and, surprisingly, Margaret in a vicious display of vampirism, dispatch the two attackers. When they “die”, they vanish from the world and Emma sees what appears to be their life force flow into Seamus and Margaret – who both get a visceral rush. Daphne was seriously wounded in the fight and Emma manages to get her patched up the old fashioned way, then discovers she could siphon some healing strength from Margaret.
After Daphne and Margaret find replacement clothes and the rest of the party finds knives and baseball bats from local souvenir shops, they head towards the waterfront to investigate the multiple “lights” that Emma is sensing there.
The party discovers a small community of people living on the aircraft carrier Intrepid on the waterfront. They are met with an increasing amount of suspicion the longer the discussion goes on (TMI, people), but they do gain quite a bit of information about how this afterlife works. After being turned away, the party holes up in the cruise terminal further up the waterfront to rest.
The next morning, the party senses a new arrival.
Summarized list of learnings follows:
- The fundamental resource of the afterlife seems to be the force of life itself. Emma can detect and quantify it and sees how diminished it is in everyone compared to the living world.
- People who “kill” others absorb the victim’s life force. Doing so grants strength and powers, but also acts as a corrupting influence. Individuals with an excess of this force show up more “real” or more “in color” than the rest of the world and are instantly recognizable.
- People who do not ever absorb power from others in this way eventually fade away over the course of a decade or two. No one visibly ages. Jamie posits that as life force fades, people “fall through” to lower layers of the afterlife until ending up in the land of shadow that he and Emily experienced.
- The afterlife reflects the current state of the world of the living and changes made by the inhabitants only last as long as they are observed. This means there’s no scarcity, but permanent changes are difficult to maintain. Most chemical reactions generally don’t work, including combustion.
- There are bands of killers roaming the world. The people at the Intrepid know of the Summer Knight. They know him as Martin and he has gathered many of these raiders into a camp in Lower Manhattan. They said he showed up on the scene about six months ago. They say that Martin is immensely powerful and should be avoided. They also discuss very old beings of vast power who roam the world of the dead. Everyone hopes to avoid the attention of these entities.
- Not everyone who dies shows up here. When they do, everyone in the vicinity can “feel” it, along with a general direction.
- Jamie feels as if he could return himself and others to the world of the living, but it would require each individual gain enough life force to be able to exist in that world. As far as the party can determine, the only way to do this would be to take the life force of others.